Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Publically Yours ... ?



I think most people agree we have a health care problem in our country. The whole conversation around the healthcare legislation is exciting to me -- we may actually decide to implement a program that focuses on making sure people's basic needs are met. Queer people, especially, tend to be underinsured-- which means we go to the doctor less frequently and are more likely to catch serious illnesses in later stages when the prognosis is more likely to be grim.

So, as a queer person and activist, I'd really like to see results. And I am personally for a public option. And I wonder, will a federal health care plan be inclusive of gay and lesbian families? I can't claim to understand the complicated outlines I have read. What I do understand is they talk about "family" plans. And legally, according to the federal government, our families don't count.

No comments: