Sunday, March 8, 2009

Is it murder if they didn't mean it?


I have a lot of very close friends who are highly religious and truly believe that to be gay is to sin. They have openly affirmed their support of Prop 8 to me and we have had truly civil conversations about our differences. I value these people in my life and in my heart. So I generally avoid making sweeping statements of judgment about their perspectives.

But I do struggle with this mask of civility that exists between us. Working where I do. Living where I do. I see the results of these very honest convictions. Young kids are truly terrified to be themselves at school. Middle school age children honestly contemplating suicide because they believe they have no hope of finding friends or love in their life. High school students who have run away (or been kicked out) and living on the streets selling what they have to survive.

Does it matter that my friends, with loving hearts, didn't mean for their expressions to cause that? These kids are still homeless, suffering or dead. I don't know what the answer is. I think finding the meeting ground and continuing the conversation across the chasm between us is the best I have to offer.

It doesn't feel like enough.

No comments: