Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The more things change ...

The mix of conflicting emotions I felt last night was overwhelming. I was overjoyed that Obama won both the presidency and Colorado; that the stain of Musgrave was removed from the Colorado landscape; that Polis became the first openly gay non-incumbent to win a Congressional seat. I believe that Colorado is ready for a change and the Colorado LGBT movement is ready to be pro-active about achieving equality. I believe we can. I believe we will.

But watching Prop 8 in California move toward victory, caused equal amounts of grief, anger, and profound disappointment. What on earth!?! Why does it matter who I want to make my life commitments with? I went to bed early, hoping that there would be a turn around while I slept. I hestitantly opened my computer at 6am and waited for the results to load, hope and dread equally competing.

It seems so counter intuitive to me that we could, as a nation, choose a progressive leader like Obama and yet, state by state, enact 3 marriage bans, 1 adoption ban, and 2 anti-affirmative action initiatives.

No comments: