Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Why did I care about Prop 8?

After all, I don't live in California and as a queer woman currently dating a man, I could get legally hitched tomorrow if I wanted to do so. I can tell you I wept on Nov 5 when the news came in. I poured over CNN's breakdown of the counties and determined that there just weren't enough potential votes out there for hope. Elated that Obama had won, I was dazed at how thoroughly our community had been kicked in the teeth, across the country.

Less than a week later, I received the national call to action in response to Prop 8 for November 15. I knew I had to be part of it. I had to claim that anger and energy and turn it into action. And help other people do the same.

Not because marriage will give health care to gays, because it won't. There are plenty of straight people who don't have health care. Not because marriage will make things fair and right and equal, because it won't. We will still be dealing with inequalities rooted in class and race in our community. Not because marriage is more important than the violence experienced by our transgender community members, because it isn't.

But marriage is a symbol. It is something tangible to straight people. Equality is a big word and it encompasses a variety of meanings. Either your marriage is recognized by the government, or it is not. Either you are being treated equally by your civil representatives, or you are not.

We all draw strength from our families. Sometimes, it's from their poor treatment. Sometimes it's from them being a haven in our time need. Sometimes we have to create them. Sometimes we are born to them. But regardless of orientation, people can relate to the idea that we want a fair shot at trying.

I don't what will happen with our country, with our movement. But I believe something exciting was born last weekend. Perhaps the sleeping giant finally woke. Whatever it was, I was proud of my community for coming together. Proud to be a small part of the million voices that stood and said, No More.

No comments: