Wednesday, July 9, 2008

glbTq

So I've been mulling over the transgender connection in Boulder since I started at Boulder Pride, but an email that came through yesterday really got me thinking about the transgender community and my own evolution. My gender is conveniently consistent with my body, which I talked about a few weeks ago, so my experiences have been more about learning how to build community support and challenge my own perceptions of gender. Just as the sexual orientation movement challenged culturally accepted models of relationship and gender roles, the gender queer movement is challenging those same ideas on a deeper level. Sexual orientation focused us on who we were with and how that defined us. Gender expression focuses on who we are and how that shapes our world. It is more internal, more profound, and more volatile.

It's hard when even the queer community can't figure out how to be more connective and welcoming to the T in glbTq. The Denver Wrangler has bravely posted its ignorance for all the world to see, showing once again that no matter how powerless we are, we can always find someone to pick on.

No comments: