Friday, July 4, 2008

Queer and White

I once had a man apologize to me for being brown. Sitting in my car in the Borders parking lot, waiting for my wife to exit so we could continue on our day, he approached my car and said, "I'm sorry I'm brown, but I wanted to know where you got your bumper sticker, because it's so funny." I told him where I bought it and then sat there in shock that anyone would ever feel the need to apologize for something so inherently a part of them. And so unharmful to anyone else. In that moment, I realized that I would never actually understand what it means to be a person of color in america.

When Rene Marie decided to sing the national anthem in a way that included both the traditional tune and words that expressed an experience more consistent with her life in america, she gave the folks in attendance a beautiful gift. I am impressed with the strength of character and bravery she showed in voicing her dual patriotism to both her country and her heritage. Often times the things we recite in honor of our country and our patriotism are words that speak to a select few. At the city address, those who are often the ones spoken to had a chance to understand what it means to hear patriotism from another perspective, a perspective not theirs. I am sorry that instead of appreciating her artistic expression and her inclusive approach, the response has been one of fear and anger.

Read more about Rene at her website and listen to her amazing voice. Send her an email of support. Send a letter to the city council expressing your support of her patriotism.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you wrote about this, and I appreciate that you can see what she did as a gift... it truly was. I'm a lesbian of color and will continue to visit your blog.

D'

Unknown said...

Thanks D, I know I fell down a bit in the last few weeks on keeping current. I look forward to hearing your thoughts, as well.

Aicila