Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Something to talk about.

I'm having trouble thinking of something to talk about today. I don't often deal with writer's block, but here it is today. So I'm going to talk about my family, my reason for being here and doing the work I do. When my son was in first grade, his class did a project to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr day. The children in the class were asked what they would say if they were Martin Luther King, Jr and working towards civil rights. My son's answer, "I would tell people we should remember we all have the same color heart."

When my son started Kindergarten, he talked about living with two moms. His classmates were very curious (where did the baby come from, without a dad?!?) but not condemning. When my daughter was in first grade, she was hit in the face by a fifth grade student for admitting that her moms were lesbians. (Don't worry, the school underwent extensive work to educate faculty and staff on how to support children of GLBT families and even identified two transgender children in the school and was able to provide them with a strong and positive environment.)

Children don't start out with a fear of the different but rather a curiousity. How does your life work when it doesn't look like mine? Every day, every thing I do, I think about the world my children started out believing in. A world where our heart is more important than our skin, or the gender of our parents, or their physical abilities. And I want to be part of creating that world for them.

No comments: