Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Patriotic Me.

"Loyalty to the country always,
loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
Utah Philips

My co-worker was planning to work this Friday because she forgot it was the 4th of July. "That's me, so patriotic!" she joked, after I pointed out her error. Patriotism is one of those big words with an ambiguous meaning that moves according to your perspective. Queer people have a hard time really embracing what patriotism means to us. Much like "family values", "christianity", and "morality", patriotism has been coopted in a very political fashion to mean looking and believing according to one ideology, an ideology that doesn't include us.

Time magazine did an article on patriotism this week and Burning Man has set the American Dream as its art theme for 2008. Like 20-something college students, America is struggling to find its identity, its loyalty, and its motivation for self-esteem. Queer folks often put their energy into their community. We call one another family and we have pride celebrations. But I don't think it's enough.

The beauty of the queer community is that we encompass all aspects of american life. There is no socio-economic level, no political or religious ideology, no racial expression, no physical attribute or ability level that doesn't have someone queer living it. We are uniquely positioned to embrace diversity because while we may not have anything else in common, we have our experience of being queer in a straight world to bond us together.

I am ashamed of my government on occasion. But I do love my country. I believe we can build a better world for our children. And I believe we can honor the efforts and sacrifices made by those before us. So while the flag I wave is rainbow striped, rather than red, white, and blue, my heart has room for both.

No comments: